Before you go:
Before you begin to plan your trip, ask yourself these important questions:
The answers to these questions will dictate the type of itinerary you should select for your trip.
Be sure to match your pre-trip wish list with your itinerary to avoid coming home disappointed from unrealized expectations. The better you plan your trip before you go, the more likely it is that the reality of your trip will match the expectations you set for it.
- How much time do I have for this trip?
- How much do I want to move around from place to place and from hotel to hotel?
- Do I want to rent a car and dictate my own schedule, or will I rely on other forms of transportation, such as trains, buses and planes, which will make me reliant upon their timetables and potentially limit the places I can get to?
- What do I want to see or do on my trip? Do I want to see historical sights, go to museums, go shopping, take in the ambiance of a city or town, sit in a café and people watch, etc.?
- What kind of experience am I looking for and what do I want to get from my trip? Do you want to come home with a bag full of souvenirs from a dozen different places, or do want to come home with treasured memories that you don't normally read about in guide books?
The sample itineraries can be modified for more or less time, or to include other cities that are of interest to you.